This volume collects 26 papers authored by lading experts from nine European culntries. It presents a wide range of the latest advances in the study of the ancient Black Sea in Greek and Roman times, with a focus on scholarly traditions, archaeology and religion. All the contributions address current debates about texts, epigraphy, numismatics, and iconography, as well as archaeological discoveries. They provide oppotunities to share perspectives, new methods and grameworks for future research. At the same teime, this book is in line with the efforts in recen years to bridge the large gap between the scholarly traditions of West and East in order to absorb, interpret and integrate the constant flow of new information about the Black Sea region into mainstream western classical scholarship.
The volume contains articles on the problems of ancient culture, publication of new materials and research results of the Northern Black Sea region sites. It consists of five blocks. The first block deals with a fundamental analysis of Sergii Dmytrovych Kryzhytsky, whose jubilee is celebrated, and greetings to him on the occasion of his 85th anniversary. The second block is dedicated to the latest research of Olbia and Borysthenes. Investigation of the chora of these cities is placed in the third block. Problems of other regions of the Northern Black Sea coast are considered in the fourth block. The last block contains the history and methodology of the Northern Black Sea coast monuments exploration.
For archaeologists, historians, ethnologists, history teachers, students of historical departments and all who are interested in the Ancient history of the Northern Black Sea region.
The paper publishes Greek Christian inscriptions from the Crimea either re-found or newly discovered mostly in 2015–2016, which are missing in the IOSPE3 V. These finds allowed us to get photographs of IOSPE3 V 165, 307 and to correct the reading of IOSPE3 V 126, 222, and 246. The new finds comprise slabs from Bermana Ravine in vicinity of Sevastopol (add. 1, 2), a commemorative inscription from 1365/6 AD from a small church above Verkhorech’e (Biia-Sala) (add. 3), graffiti from a roadside altarless church near Il’ka Mountain in vicinity of Mangup (add. 5) and Eski-Kermen (add. 6), tombstones from Staryi Krym (Solkhat) from 1361/2 (add. 7), Tyritake from ca. 900 (add. 8), Kerch from the sixth (add. 10) and eleventh (add. 9) centuries, and Bogatyr’ from 1509, and also building inscription from a cave church at Zagaitanskaia Cliff in Inkerman from 1303 (add. 4). The latter mentions that the church was dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra in Lycia and the name of John Skleros, a previously unknown Metropolitan Bishop of Cherson, and also the kellion of monk Helias, which revives the question of the status of minor cave monasteries in the Mountainous Crimea.