ОЧЕРК ИСТОРИИ ТОПОЛОГИЧЕСКОГО ОБРАЗОВАНИЯ В НИЖНЕМ НОВГОРОДЕ
The history of development of topological education in Nizhny Novgorod is described – from the first lecture on topology for schoolchildren, given in 1939 by Professor A.G. Mayer, to mandatory courses of topology in mathematical faculties in modern times. The necessity of knowledge of topology for further research was first understood in Nizhny Novgorod by representatives of the school of academician A.A. Andronov on the theory of nonlinear oscillations and qualitative theory of differential equations. An important point was the Gorky topological school of 1964, which was attended by many outstanding mathematicians (D.V. Anosov, M.L. Gromov, S.P. Novikov, Y.G. Sinai, etc.) However, Professor D.A. Gudkov, a specialist in real algebraic geometry, became the "motor" for introducing topology into the educational process. This activity took place in close cooperation with Leningrad professor V.A. Rohlin and his students O.Ya. Viro and V.M. Kharlamov.