The research targets the issue of Russian imperial representative space of the Moscow Kremlin (Grand Kremlin Palace, Faceted Chamber, Armory, etc.) functionality during Brezhnev’s period. The primary sources are archival documentary films depicting diplomats and various and foreign representatives’ visits to the Moscow Kremlin in 1950s – 1970s. The author makes a comparative evaluation of the data and demonstrates how throughout the second part of the 20th century there occurred a shift from practical usage of the palace halls towards the restoration of their original function — symbolic representation of supreme power.
The article deals with some specific technical forms of representation of royal and princely power in medieval Europe.
This book brings together a group of leading experts on the political history of Germany and the medieval Empire from the Carolingian period to the end of the Middle Ages. Its purpose is to introduce and analyze key concepts in the study of medieval political culture. The representation of power by means of texts, buildings and images is a theme which has long interested historians. However, recent debates and methodological insights have fundamentally altered the way this subject is perceived, opening it up to perspectives unnoticed by its pioneers in the middle of the twentieth century. By taking account of these debates and insights, this volume explores a series of fundamental questions. How was power defined in a medieval context? How was it claimed, legitimized and disputed? What were the moral parameters against which its exercise was judged? How did different spheres of political power interact? What roles were played by texts, images and rituals in the maintenance of, and challenges to, the political order? The contributors bring varied and original approaches to these and other questions, illuminating the complex power relationships which determined the changing political history of medieval Germany.
This study describes different forrms of adventus ceremonies practicised around 1500 in local towns of the principality of Trier.