Староладожский миф в академическом дискурсе последних лет
This article consists of a publication of one of the most important graffiti-inscriptions on fragments of fresco plaster found in the course of excavations in 2014 in St. George’s Cathedral in Novgorod’s Yuriev Monastery. The graffito was a note recording the death of Prince Yaroslav Vladimirovich’s sons, Izyaslav and Rostislav, who according to evidence in the chronicle died in the early summer of 1198 and were buried in the monastery’s cathedral. The precise dates included in the text (the burial of Izyaslav on June 15th and the death of Rostislav on June 20th) shed light on the circumstances, in which on June 8, 1198 the foundations were laid for the Church of the Transfiguration on Nereditsa Hill, which is thought to have been founded in connection with the death of the Prince’s sons.
The article deals with the newly founded document – a letter from Ivan Saltykov to Polish king Sigismund III from Ladoga fortress shortly taken from the troops of Colonel Delaville. There comes also analysis of letter’s language and characteristic of the historical context of its appearance.
The article deals with so called Staraja Ladoga “Big Houses” – the specific dwellings of 9-10th cc. usually connected with the Scandinavian component in Staraja Ladoga settlement. The article include critical analysis of existing interpretations of the type and some qualifications of chronology and planigrahy of this group of dwellings.